Monday, September 30, 2013

Sarah Beise


How is it that you came to be an illustrator?
I really had no choice.  From my earliest memories I was creating,  inventing and building (or making messes as my mother said!)  One of my favorite things to draw my inventions or tell a story through my drawings.
Did you go to art school?
Yes- Minneapolis College of Art and Design
Were there 1 or more individuals that were an influence in your becoming an illustrator?  
 Early on it was a fellow 1st grader named Van.  He and I always  volunteered to put up the 1st grade bulletin board during recess. One day, while we were cutting out construction paper and gluing and pinning all kinds of things together as we designed  our masterpiece, he asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.  I did not know.  He said he wanted to be an artist  so he could always put up bulletin boards.  I knew at that moment I wanted to be an artist too and have never wavered from that day.  My high school art teacher Deborah Cooper, also pointed me in the right direction, as well as serving as a very important mentor.  
What inspires you now?
I am inspired by everything around me from the beauty in nature to the magical digital universe.  
Is there anything you would like to share regarding your technique or style of work?
I typically start all my projects with paper and pencil but quickly move on to the computer for completion of the image.  My work definitely gravitates towards children, animals and lightheartedness.  I need to be able to smile at my own characters and images before they are ready to greet the world.
What types of markets do you do illustrations for?
I have been so fortunate to create images for all kinds of fun products!  Children's books, Children's educational products,  App and Web characters and animation, Paper product ( greeting cards, gift bag, wrap, plates, napkins and cup etc), Scrapbooking, Fabric, Puzzles and a few 3-d characters that light up for Halloween!
Are there links to to your images you would like to share?

My site which is set up mainly for manufactures:
Children's Publishing Agent:  
Licensing (outside the USA)

For updates on my latest releases check out my FaceBook page:
Do you currently have product with your images on the market?
Yes, I do!  I have 3-D Fuzzy  Puzzles that just arrived at Target,  A few books (Addition Annie, Don't lose your Shoes and I Can!), Greeting and Box cards, Gift bags, Gift wrap and I actually designed a Bulletin Board Set (Dress for Weather)!
 What is the thing you love best about what you do?
I wake up excited each day about drawing the next character or telling the next story.  I still can not imagine anything else I 'd rather do!

3 comments:

  1. OOOOO! Love! Love! your work! Thanks so much for sharing :-)
    http://anniesdoodlebugz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff!! I especially love those last 2 images!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice article. Your art is great, as always! And I would also like to know, how is it that you look exactly the same as when I first met you 20-ish years ago?

    ReplyDelete