Monday, December 17, 2012

Artimagos

Esther Pérez-Cuadrado and Malena F. Alzu work their illustrations as a team. Esther draws the main line (so she will be one to answer the interview). When Esther finishes her first sketches, she lets them “sleep”, then the team have a look, and roughs usually get some changes; Esther draws again and again, scan the sketches, correct them and when the line is accepted by the team, Malena gives some digital color, which style depends on the project they are embarked on.
How is it that you came to be an illustrator, Esther?
I always loved drawing. I don't remember when I started, but I do recall the day I was paid for an illustration: I am making a toast for it every second of my life!
Did you go to art school?
Yes, I attended Fine Arts School in Complutense University (Design), in Madrid. I met Malena on our first year, we began working together there. That was 1998. After that I never stopped following courses to learn different techiques and keep my creativity on. Right now I am finishing a Master on Illustrated Albums. Malena is more interested in education and writing.
Were there one or more individuals that were an influence in your becoming an illustrator?
I guess I should say a name, but that is not what influenced me but a way to see life. I find it is much more fun to see life through drawings, mine and other's.
What inspires you now?
Everything I see, touch, hear and smell... Well, and everything I can't hear, touch and smell. I don't care much about taste, really, in every sense of the word. 
Is there anything you would like to share regarding your technique or style or work for instance what types of medium do you like to work in?
The most important thing is: never stop learning from others. Watch, watch, watch and listen.
What types of markets do you do illustration for?
We mostly illustrate and design for the Education Market, but, at the same time, we are working on some albums (personal projects).
Are there links to your images you would like to share?
Our gallery: www.artimagos.com. Some sketches: http://esthercoladeraton.blogspot.com. Animated sketches: http://www.artimagos.comoj.com/WEB_ANIMACIONES/index.html.
Comments about Children's books (Spanish): http://www.milaytete.blogspot.com.es/
You can find us too in these profesional pages: SCBWI and APIM.
Do you do other things regarding art like teaching, or classroom visits?
I enjoy so much going to schools! You can see some or my experiences here: http://talleresartimagos.blogspot.com.es/
Are there other creative interests you pursue?
I love music. I have an illustration project on songs written by a friend. I enjoy animation too, but I can't find time to get deeper in this field.
Do you currently have product with your images on the market? Books gift or home products?
I am engaged now in Illustrísima, where you can buy my illustrations and other artist's. This is the facebook site: http://www.facebook.com/ilustrisima2012
What is the thing you love best about what you do?
I love making my living on what I enjoy best. It is true that sometimes it looks like I have to draw something hard or boring, but that is a challenge: you can always find the way to make it interesting and enjoy yourself with a amusing wink. Humour is my best friend at work and in life.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Patti, for your generosity and your love for illustration. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome! I am inspired by all of the incredibly creative, beautiful work being done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that your whale image is really fantastic. I LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so interesting. Good work
    Thanks-
    Kit Grady

    ReplyDelete