Monday, June 18, 2012

Victoria Hutto

I was fortunate to have worked with Vicky at a greeting card company in San Francisco when we were both starting out. She is as delightful as her whimsical artwork.
How is it that you came to be an illustrator?
Ever since I could remember, I’ve liked to draw.  Mostly attempting to copy Snoopy and Hello Kitty in elementary school.  As an adult, it was a dream come true when I actually went to work for Sanrio, the creator of Hello Kitty.  
 Did you go to art school?
I studied at the California College of Arts & Crafts in Oakland, California.  It is currently known as California College of the Arts.  I graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Illustration.
Were there 1 or more individuals that were an influence in becoming an illustrator? 
I don't recall one person that had influenced me to become an artist.  I do remember always having a desire to" make things".  My mom liked to sew, and I remember being so drawn to all the different fabrics she had stashed away in the closet. I wanting to create something out of it.  I also remember,  my aunt had a hobby of working with ceramics, and pottery.  I was always excited to visit her.  She would let me paint her ceramic pieces .  I remember a time when she had a bunch of tiny ducklings, and letting me pick one to paint.  I was so proud of that little duck when I was finished.
What Inspires you now?
My husband is also an artist and we like taking trips and exploring.   You never know what will spark an idea.  Our styles are very different, and we see things differently;  so it's great to brainstorm with each other.  
 Is there anything you would like to share regarding your technique or style of work for instance what type of medium do you like to work in?
My work is very versatile.   I think it is because I like to try to push myself in directions that are not necessarily comfortable for me.  My work used to be very tight.  I have always admired artists who have a loose flare to their work.  This has been a direction I have been moving  towards.   I used to work with acrylics.  But I work mostly digitally now.  I enjoy Photoshop.  It amazes me what you can do with it.  Although I love using the program, I feel it will never replace the free flow of a brush.  As I grow as an artist, I would like to experiment with other mediums, and combine the two.
 What types of markets do you do illustration for?
My work appears on a wide range of products, from greeting cards, to flags, to home decor.  I found that I enjoy developing products.  I just finished designing a collection of garden items made of metal.   Also,  I recently had the opportunity to illustrate my first children's book.  12 Days of Christmas in Oklahoma comes out in October this year.
 Are there links to your images you would like to share?
You can see some my work on my website:  
I am also represented by Suzanne Cruise:
 Do you do other things regarding art like teaching, or classroom visits?
Working on three dimensional objects keeps creating interesting, when most of my time is spent in front of a computer screen.  My husband and I are able to combine our creative spirits in working with gourds.  Our works have appeared in galleries and have been admired in museums.  We have given workshops working with and teaching the history of gourds-including Native American tribes traditional uses of gourds.  Gourds are unique forms of art.  Many people only think of them as birdhouses, but they could be so much more. 
Do you currently have product with your images on the market?  Books, gifts, or home products?
Several of my designs have appeared on products in stores like Walmart, Target, Lowe's and Joanne’s Home Goods, to name a few.  But you can see some of my designs on the following links:
Wall Art:
Book:
Rugs:
Christmas Decor:
Flags/Mailbox Wraps:
What is the thing you love the best about what you do?
The thing I love most about what I do is being able to see something go from my blank "canvas" to a product in a store.  It is wonderful feeling that I can actually make a living doing what I love to do.

1 comment:

  1. everything is so cute!!!! and very interesting :) thanks for the card. ill look into it more now- Liza your O'charleys waitress

    ReplyDelete