Thursday, February 20, 2014

Judith Loske


How did you become an artist?
All my life I loved painting and drawing. In  elementary school most of the time I sat at the table and drew houses, trees and animals. Every kid had their own drawer and my mother often came to empty mine because I painted so many pictures. In my free time I continued to paint and at some point I knew I wanted to become an artist or a writer. Now I am both. 
Did you go to art school?
Yes, I went to Ruhrakademie. This is an private academy in Germany. They offer studies in graphic design, film, photography, illustration, animation and art. In the first two years you study together with fellow students of other faculties and then, the courses are specialized but you can also visit other courses that interests you. I studied illustration for 4 years. Sadakos Kraniche“ a picture book about a girl that got leukemia was my diploma work.
Was there anyone that influenced you in becoming an artist?
Looking at artwork in books, in museums, on cd covers or  poster artwork confirmed my wish to be an illustrator. But there was no special person.
Is there one or more artists whose work is an influence?
There are so many influences. I loved picture books as a small child (The Hungry Caterpillar,    Petersson and Findus, Willi Wiberg books). In art school I get in touch with Hokusai, Amedeo Modigliani, Egon Schiele, Gustav Klimt and Horst Janssen just to name a few. I don't know how they influenced me but I feel they did. My final choice was to become a children's book illustrator probably because of the work of Wolf Erlbruch (Duck, Death And The Tulip) a well known German illustrator.
What inspires you?
Often I don't know what really inspired me. Suddenly an idea appears in my mind and I don't know where it came from. But sometimes I investigate a special topic and something fascinates me like the story of Sadako Sasaki or old family photographic portraits. I liked the idea of showing a family and the viewer can interpret the relationship between the members. I also look to nature, books, music, flea markets, walks, my cat, and conversations with people for inspiration. You never know where you will find an idea. The most important thing is being curious.
Would you like to share your work process?
It begins with a sketch or doodle in my Moleskine book (I love the cream paper). Later I scan it and  increase the format. I print out the sketch and create a more detailed drawing. Then everything is transfered to watercolour paper (grain satiné from Lana). I finish the work with watercolours, pencils and collage elements (made with acrylics, wax crayons, hand carved stamps and printed paper). Then I scan it again and add some structures and background colours on the computer.  I sometimes correct some details or tonal values.
Are there links where more of your art can be seen?
-My website (www.judith-loske.de)
- My English portfolio on Behance (http://www.behance.net/JudithLoske),
What types of markets do you create for?
Mainly I work for the picture book and children's book market. But I have done illustrations for porcelain manufacturers, magazines, greeting cards, blogs and textbooks, too.
Do you do other things regarding art like teaching?
I do readings for schools and kindergarten.
Do you pursue other creative interests like writing or music?
I like to sew soft toys and sometimes I crochet flowers and food. And I like to take photographs (mostly of my cat).
Where can your art be seen? Is it on products, books ect...?
I did a cup series of kissing animals for Könitz Porzellan.
My published picture books are:
- Sadakos Kraniche, minedition 2011
also available in English, French and Dutch
- Der Koffer, die Katze und die Tuba, minedition 2012
also available in English and French
- Mein Schatz bist du!, Text: Lucy Scharenberg, Thienemann 2013
- Let's Read Japanese Vol.1, various illustrators, Oxford Brookes University 2013
- Let's Read Japanese Vol.2, various illustrators, Oxford Brookes University 2013
- Das rote Blatt, Hinstorff 2014
- Klassiker für Kinder - Alice im Wunderland, cbj 2014 (will be published in summer 2014)
What do you love best about what you do?
I love the possibility to create my own worlds and characters telling a story for children and adults. Of course it is wonderful to share these worlds in a book. I think the feeling of seeing an appealing cover, then opening the book and falling in love with the story is unique. Every child has its favourite book and maybe it is one of mine.

 





  


  

No comments:

Post a Comment