Friday, November 15, 2013

Dennis Kendrick and Andrea Brooks

How did you become an artist?
Andrea: I always wanted to be an artist, a dancer and a doctor. Well guess which won out in the end. I have always been an artist, class artist in grade school; Illustrator club in Jr. H. S.; art major in Music and art H.S. Majored in science in College, then after school took courses at NY art schools.
Did you go to art school?
Dennis: I guess I was also class artist. I attended Paier school of art in CT and then started working in an agency and also freelancing in design. My big adventure was coming to NY from suburban CT and starting to break into the art market.Persistance is one of the most important qualities.
Was there anyone that influenced you in becoming an artist?
Andrea: Influences. Let me see. My cousin Jules Kirschenbaum was a painter with works at moma and I just wanted to be an artist like him.
Are there artists whose work influenced you?
Dennis: Some of the cartoonists of the 60's and 70's.I began as a cartoonist and children's book illustrator. That's how Andrea and I met through children's books. So maybe love, fame and millions await you in art.
Andrea: Beatrix Potter, Japanese art; impressionism and watercolor of all kinds.
Would you like to share your work process?
Andrea:  I do far too much research on a project, but that's the way I am. I want to make sure I know as much about my subject as possible. I love the watercolor stage best and work on arches 140 cold press paper and use chinese bamboo brushes. When I have finished painting I go in to show Dennis.
Dennis: Then we work on the design together. I'm at the computer. Background, layout, special effects, design and type are where I come in. We end up with a design that represents both of us.
Are there links where we can see more of your work?
Mostly designs dennis has done on his own

Andreas Web site also includes work we have done together

Facebook

My blog: Two Artists Aloft
What types of markets do you create art for?
Andrea and Dennis: We work mainly in the gift and decorative accessories markets.This includes products such as: Paper tableware: greeting cards; coasters, trays and trivets: flags and mats: area rugs: ceramic mugs and dishes; calendars among many others.

Do you do other things regarding art like teaching?

Andrea and Dennis: At the moment neither of us are teaching. We have taught art students at Pratt Manhattan;Parsons (watercolor classes); Business classes for the Graphic Artist Guild: and we have done guest speaking.
Do you pursue other creative interests?
Andrea:  I love cartooning and have been keeping sketch books for years. I love doing the writing for my blog.We are both music lovers. We don't play an instrument at present. Dennis passionately loves history and baseball. We are both animal lovers and have three wonderful cats.
Where can your art be seen?
Our art can be seen on many products. I am working on a section of my blog called licensed products. I still have a lot to fill in, but what is there should give you a good idea.
Dennis: I've done a lot of children's books and currently have a number of kids e books on line.
What do you love best about what you do?
Andrea: watercoloring watercoloring watercoloring.
Dennis: I love my computer and all that it affords me especially in design.
Andrea and Dennis: Most of the time we enjoy working together. It's not all smooth, but we ride it out.









No comments:

Post a Comment