Monday, April 1, 2013

Dianne Woods


How is it that you came to be an artist?
I was trained as a commercial photographer and for 35 years shot photographs for magazines and book publishers.  When the digital revolution hit and I made the transition from film to pixels, a new world filled with opportunities to be creative emerged.  Inspired by the possibilities, I traded one passion for another and began my personal transition from commercial photographer to digital artist.     
Did you go to art school?
Yes, I graduated in 1977 from Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California.  There I learned technical skills, how to see, how to hear criticism and then act upon it, what hard work means and, last but certainly not least, perseverance.
Were there one or more individuals that were an influence in your becoming an artist?
My parents, who were an endless reservoir of encouragement and support, were the biggest influences on my becoming an artist.  My mother graduated in 1942 from Parsons School of Design in New York and, while she chose the life of wife and mother, she was also an artist who remained active in art associations.  She mounted several one-woman shows over the course of her life. My father was an industrial engineer who was forever scratching out designs on yellow tablets and paper napkins.  He showed by example what it was like to love your work.  
What inspires you now?
I’m inspired by beautiful light, color, great design and cats.  I’m known for my cats. 
What types of markets do you do art for?
Most of the licenses I hold are in the stationary, gift and home décor markets.  Products include calendars, note pads, greeting cards, wall art, coasters, trivets, and cutting boards.
Are there links to you images you would like to share?
My website is www.diannewoods.com

http://www.montagelicensing.com/
Are there other creative interests you pursue?
While these days most of my time is spent creating new cat imagery, I still very much enjoy taking photographs.  My camera is never far from reach.  
What is the thing you love best about what you do?
Everything, even the frustration inherent in keeping my computer skills up to speed or the challenges that come from addressing changes a client might want.  At some point in the course of each day I get to put into play a set of skills I’ve spent a lifetime developing.  And, I get to make art, and a living.

No comments:

Post a Comment