Monday, September 24, 2012

Faye Hsu


How did you become an illustrator?
I’ve love drawing since I was a kid, whenI was 23, I decided to chase my dream.I am happy that I can consider art as my career now. I feel lucky that I am passionate about my work.
Did you go to art school?
I went to Academy of Art University in San Francisco. I am in MFA illustration program. There are a lot of amazing instructors in AAU. Learning from them is a valuable experience.
Was there anyone that was an influence in your becoming an illustrator or anyone that continues to influence your work?
John Singer Sargent, Norman Rockwell, N.C. Wyeth have been huge influences to me. I remember when I started to learn painting, I stared at these Master's artworks, learning how they handle brushstroke, edge control, composition etc.
What inspires you now?
Bobby Chiu&Nicolas Marlet! Their designs just brilliant!!!

From looking at your portfolio I can see that you do fine art as well. Can you tell me a little about that?
I am lucky that I have amazing fine art instructors in my school. For portraits, before I started learning how to paint we spent a long time learning how to draw. Portraits really need great understanding of anatomy, facial proportion, etc. For Landscapes, I always worked on toned canvas. I learned from my instructor that the sketch is really important.This stage could solve many issues, such as composition, value contrast, focus point.etc. Another thing I learned from my instructors is have great respect of old masters' art! 

Also are there any games that you can name that have done work for?
I am currently concept artist for CastleVille. It is a great team to work with:)
    
Would you like to share anything about how you work?
If I am hired to do an illustration,I will talk with my client about what they want, then I will do sketches (2-3 thumbnails) for them to chose one. The next  step iis doing a couple quick color studies of it, then I can have a can of coke while I build up all details.
 I use Photoshop and my Wacom tablet. Even my sketches are all digital now. In this industry digital really make things faster.
What types of markets do you illustrate for?
I used to do concept illustrations for commercial and film, I hope to get the opportunity to illustrate a children's book. It will be awesome years later I can read my book to my child when I become a mom.
Do you have links to sites with your work you would like to share?
Here is my online portfolio:) http://fayehsu.blogspot.com/

Are there other creative interests that you do like writing, music or teaching?
Cooking~! i am a terrific cook.
 I love to create new recipes when I am cooking. I am happy when a new yummy dish done. I keep photos of things i cooked in my album. 

Do you currently have products with your images on the market?
Most of my recent illustrations are for gaming industry.
What do you love best about what you do?
I love the very beginning part of a project! It´s the most creative and playful.  It is awesome that I get paid for doing something I LOVE.


No comments:

Post a Comment